Smoking could not get any easier with the Masterbuilt Gen II Electric Smoker. Quality insulation and the digital control panel make smoking meats a relaxing and enjoyable experience.
Product Review: Masterbuilt Gen II Electric Smoker
- Quick Access to Wood Chip Tray
- 730 Square Inches of Cooking Space
- LED Control Panel Makes Temperature Control Simple
- 4 Chrome Cooking Racks Slide Out from Vertical Smoker
- Quality Insulation Retains Heat and Maintains Temperature
- Smoking could not get any easier with the Masterbuilt Gen II Electric Digital Smokehouse Smoker. With a digital LED display, superb insulation, easy access wood chip tray, and removable cooking racks, all make for a smoker designed to be used by even the newest of smoking fanatics. Masterbuilt remains committed as a company to delivering quality products to anyone in the United States who wants to smoke meats, but does not want to turn it into a full time hobby.
- Insulation and consistent temperatures make the Masterbuilt Gen II Smoker stand above the rest. Heat loss from unseen holes plague many low quality smokers, providing an eternal frustration for smoking enthusiasts all over the country. No such problem exists for the Masterbuilt, no holes and no heat loss occur. With this total insulation, heat levels remain absolutely consistent throughout the entire smoking process. With the LED Control Panel, the temperature readout is always spot on, making it totally possible for the Masterbuilt Gen II Smoker to be left alone on the patio while you go on to watch the game, chat with guests, or cook other food in the kitchen.
- Load up whole turkeys, ribs, and burgers in the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. With up to 730 Square Inches of cooking space, the capacity on this smoker is more than enough to meet the needs of a family get together or a party with friends.Vertical smoker designs make for the easiest to work with since the smoker racks can easily slide out. This means that multiple kinds of meat can be cooked at once. Want to smoke burgers and ribs for a party? Well, burgers will be done far sooner than ribs, so you can just remove the burgers as they finish without having to deconstruct the entire smoker. Perfect for parties and large get-togethers where everyone will have different tastes and preferences.
- Want to eat smoked meats year round? No problem, the insulation and temperature control of the Masterbuilt Electric Digital Smokehouse makes it entirely possible to smoke meats even in the cold of Winter. As long as the patio space around the smoker is clear of snow, smoking will be no problem in the dead of Winter. Just type in the heat setting on the LED Control Panel, and within a half hour the internal temperature will be up to 200°F + no matter the surrounding weather conditions. Within seven hours, I was able to smoke an entire rack of ribs during the month of December even when the temperature outside was below freezing. Heat stays within the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker, and meats will come out perfectly smoked without an issue.
- The wood chip tray can be readily accessed without having to open the entire smoker. This design is absolutely ingenious, as it prevents the need to open the smoker which would release all the smoke and heat. Instead, the Masterbuilt Gen II Electric Smoker has a small tray at the bottom of the smoker to pull open when wanting to add wood chips. What also amazes me about the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is that only a tiny amount of wood chips need to be used to smoke the meats. For a four hour round of smoking sausages, I can get by using two cups of dry wood chips for that rich smokey flavor. Two cups of wood chips is practically nothing, thus resulting in long term savings down the road.
- Cleanup of the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is a breeze. In order to clean, all you need are damp paper towels to wipe down and mess or crust within the smoker. Do not use harsh chemicals to clean your smoker, it will ruin it as they are not designed to be used on electric smokers. The drip pan works well and can be cleaned easily as well. All in all, the cleanup process should take no more than twenty minutes of work.
- Smoke buildup within the smoker can be too much for some. Be prepared, the Masterbuilt Gen II Smoker does not vent smoke as well as I would like. Some may not be bothered by the smoke, I have actually grown used to it. However, it disappoints me to see the smoke buildup issue more serious than Masterbuilt Gen I Electric Smokers. I am sure someone could rig the Masterbuilt Gen II vent on this smoker to let out more smoke during the smoking process, but all in all it is just a nuisance at first until one learns to fine tune the smoker.
Masterbuilt Gen II vs Masterbuilt Gen I
Ease of Use:
- Both Masterbuilt Electric Smokers are incredibly easy to use. Each smoker can be easily accessed and used by even the most novices of smokers. Digital Control Panels on both smoker models make for temperature setting simple. Both smokers come with pull out cooking racks, allowing for easy access to all foods in the smoker. Access to the wood chip tray and water basin is a simple affair for both smokers. Truthfully, you could not go wrong with either smoker.
- Personally, I find the Masterbuilt Gen II Electric Smoker the more attractive and appealing of the smokers. Its solid black plastic color looks sharp on a patio. Also, I enjoy being able to roll around the Gen II Electric Smoke without any hassle. Insulation on both models seems of quality, but I would estimate that the Gen II Masterbuilts are better insulated in the comparison. Between the two, I prefer the Masterbuilt Gen II Smoker when it comes to the design of the smokers.
Quality of Smoked Meats:
- As mentioned before, smoke buildup can occur in the Masterbuilt Gen II model. This will result in meat that tastes smokier, and tends to be crispier on the outside. The Masterbuilt Gen I does not have this problem. While the Masterbuilt Gen II can either be rigged or fine tuned to deal with the smoke issue, the lack of the problem in Gen I models makes the meats taste all the better. In the comparison of the quality of the smoked meats, I have to say the Masterbuilt Gen I Electric Smoker model wins out.
- No doubt exists in my mind that the Masterbuilt Gen II is an upgrade over the Gen I models. However, I do not think the Gen II models are as revolutionary as the first series of Masterbuilt Electric Smokers have been. Insulation, the digital control panel, and cooking racks have all been improved in the Masterbuilt Gen II model over the Gen I models. For only some dozen bucks more, I believe the upgrade to a Gen II is worth it.
Value for Money?
- The Masterbuilt Gen II Electric Digital Smokehouse Smoker impresses me thoroughly with how well built the smoker happens to be. Too many smokers contain heat escapes and simply are not intuitive to use. Masterbuilt offers one of the best insulated smokers that just about anyone can use. With its overall ease of access and low operating costs, I recommend the Masterbuilt as a smoker that can be the workhorse unit for weekly use. Overall, we give the Masterbuilt Gen II Electric Digital Smoker a total of 5/5 stars.
Where to Buy:
- Amazon – Masterbuilt 20071117 30″ Digital Electric Smoker
- Amazon – Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller
- Amazon – Masterbuilt 20071117 30″ Digital Electric Smoker
- Amazon – Masterbuilt 20072115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker, 30-Inch
- Amazon – Masterbuilt 20077016 4-Rack Digital Electric Smoker with Leg Kit Cover and Gloves, 30″, Stainless