Check out this dyna glo charcoal smoker! With a vertical smoking design, managing meats is simple. Along with that, dyna glo offset smoker box makes for efficient smoking all the easier. Even novices can use this dyna glo smoker with no major issues.
Dyna-Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker Review
Grilling has existed in the Americas since pre-Colonial times. This art of cooking has slowly evolved to what it is today, a great American tradition. When it comes to grilled food, nothing beats the juicy and tender meat that is slow cooked for hours. To be able to do that though, you will need a great charcoal smoker (because let’s face it, if you want an authentic smoked meat flavour, the best way to get that is thru a charcoal smoker).
Today, we will take a look at the Dyna-Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker first. This Dyna Glo smoker is considered as one of the best charcoal smokers on the market.
Why? Read on to find out.
This wide bodied Dyna Glo smoker will complete your patio or deck with a durable centre piece that your friends and family will gather around for a lot of years to come.
It will also be the envy of your neighbours. This Dyna Glo smoker has will be able to provide you perfectly smoked, savoury food (provided you have the skills of course).
That’s why consumers consistently rate Dyna glo smokers as ‘a cut above’ the rest. This smoker will offer you a wealth of custom cooking options.
All you have to do is choose a different type of wood chip (in table at the end of the post) and you can alter the flavour of whatever food you’ve placed on the grates.
The Dyna-Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker offers you not only these delicious benefits, but those associated with using charcoal as your fuel source as well. It has a vertical design and includes six height-adjustable cooking grates. Plus, it has a whopping 1890 inches of total cooking space.
Pros and Cons
- Has a very roomy chamber
- Very easy control
- Works with charcoal and wood chips combination
- Coated steel is a little thin
This Dyna Glo smoker is designed for slow cooking and infusing smoke flavour.
The offset functionality of this wide body smoker is designed to keep direct heat away from the food. This will help prevent food on the bottom racks from cooking too fast.
The burn efficiency is also improved because of the uniquely designed charcoal system that includes a porcelain-enameled charcoal chamber.
This chamber is designed to keep briquettes stacked tightly. It has double doors made to minimize reduction in cooking temperature when you need to check the food or if you need to add more wood chips or charcoal briquettes.
This Dyna Glo smoker has a heavy-duty steel body construction that features a high-temp, powder-coat finish that will ensure a long life.
The smoker’s charcoal and wood chip tray is also made of heavy gauged, porcelain-enameled steel so you can cook for hours without any maintenance needed.
Since this Dyna Glo smoker is a wide body smoker, it naturally has more room to cook. The six height-adjustable cooking grates can accommodate various sizes of food.
Plus, the 1890 square inches of total cooking space with 25-pounds capacity per grate is among the best in commercial charcoal smokers.
This smoker also has a charcoal and ash management system, grate and sliding, removable steel ash pan.
It can handle large amounts of ash for hours of maintenance-free cooking. And since it is a vertical smoker, it lends itself to naturally rising heat so you can achieve greater efficiency and improved smoke flavour.
This Dyna Glo offset smoker will keep direct heat away from the food so you can slow cook your food perfectly.
This vertical gas smoker is warranted against broken or damaged parts at the time of purchase. All the other parts carry a 1-year limited warranty except the charcoal/wood chip tray, which is warranted to be free of defects for 90 days.
The paint is warranted to be free of defects for 90 days except for rust, which may appear after repeated use. This warranty does not cover damage or issues related to neglect, abuse or modifications to the appliance.
Repair labour is also not covered.
This wide body Dyna Glo Charcoal Offset Smoker is a great starting smoker for people who are just getting into smoking meats.
It does have its flaws, but if you don’t mind making some modifications, then you can easily get the unit up and running very quickly.
We recommend that you reinforce all of its seals so that the unit maintains a steady temperature over a long time. Its vertical and wide design will let you cook large items like pork shoulders, sausage links and brisket..
If you’re looking for an inexpensive yet excellent smoker, then this Dyna Glo smoker is a great choice.
Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS730CBO-D Barrel Charcoal Grill & Side Firebox Review
This method of cooking food can produce some of the tastiest meals known to man, provided you know how to.
In order to smoke food, you will need a good smoker.
The only problem is, there are a lot of smokers and grills available on the market today that it can be quite daunting to pick one.
So if you want an authentic smoky flavour in your food, we recommend going for the Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS730CBO-D Barrel Charcoal Grill and Side Firebox.
This is Dyna Glo smoker is an offset smoker and grill all in one. To find out the reason why we recommend this product, keep reading this article.
This multi-functional Dyna Glo smoker and grill will convert the grill into an offset smoker or will provide an additional cooking space.
It has a removable offset charcoal grate and ash pan so you can easily access the fuel chamber and easily dispose the ash too. This Dyna Glow smoker also uses porcelain enameled steel cooking grates that will retain the heat to sear food and lock in the natural juices.
It has a collapsible steel front work station that will allow you to maximize the work space while also minimizing the storage space.
It uses professional-grade, stainless steel temperature gauge that features “Grill Zone” and “Smoke Zone” indicators so you can maintain the ideal cooking temperatures.
Pros and Cons
- Uses high grade stainless steel
- Great heat retention
- Easy to clean
- User friendly
- Easy to assemble
- Needs additional sealing on the smoke box
This Dyna Glo smoker is one of their best outdoor living products. The first thing you will notice with the design is that there is plenty of space. It includes 675 square inches of cooking area in the main barrel and 287 square inches in the firebox.
What’s great about the firebox is that you can even put a pot or pan on the squared off lid.
This Dyna Glow smoker also has wheels and legs are adequately large and very sturdy. Although the front and lower shelves look smaller than average, it does compensate with a nice feature.
The feature we are talking about is the slide out ashtray drawer on the firebox. This allows for easy clean up. Since the box is a bit small, you won’t be able to toss any logs on this fire. We recommend stocking up on flavored wood chips so you can enhance your smoke.
The Dyna Glo smoker uses porcelain-enameled steel grates as mentioned above. With a little bit of care, these grates will last a long time.
This offset smoker is designed so you can cook with charcoal in the main chamber right out of the box. That’s why it is very versatile.
- A lot of owners have reported good results with the Dyna Glo smoker even though the thin metal and spot welds have resulted in some heat loss.
The Positive points
- The good results are mainly influenced by the special features of this Dyna Glo smoker.
- The removable charcoal grate and ash pan will really offer easy access to the fuel. Plus, you can easily dispose of the ash. Even though it is not using cast iron, but porcelain-enameled steel cooking grates, it will still allow for maximum heat transfer and searing.
- You just need to clean it once in a while so it will last long.
- The 287 square inches of extra grilling space is also a boon for those who want to grill more food.
This Dyna Glo smoker is warranted against broken or damaged parts at the time of purchase.
The other parts carry a 1-year limited warranty except the charcoal/wood chip tray, which is warranted to be free of defects for 90 days. The paint is warranted to be free of defects for 90 days except for rust, which will appear after repeated use.
The warranty will not cover damage or issues related to neglect, abuse or modifications to the appliance. Also, repair labor is also not covered by the warranty.
If you are looking for a smoker that is a step up from the beginner’s selection of smokers, this is the perfect smoker for you. It is certainly much better than the smokers under $100.
The extra grilling space that it provides and the ease of use it offers is great for those who want to learn how to smoke food. Best of all, it isn’t very expensive.
All you need to learn is how to control the heat, then you will be able to enjoy smoked food all anytime you want.
Product Review: Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
- Built in Temperature Gauge
- 784 Square Inches of Cooking Space
- Separate Compartment for Wood Chips
- Six Smoking Racks and Meat Hanging Hooks
- Smoking meats with a charcoal smoker could not be any more convenient than with the Dyna-Glo Charcoal Smoker. What makes the Dyna-Glo so easy to use is its vertical smoke rack design that makes for easy management of the smoked meats. Simply place your meats on one of the six steel smoking racks, and slide the rack into the smoker. Once the meats are finished, the racks can easily be removed. No hassle with repositioning other meats, nor having to design a rig to access the hot coals without touching the meat.
- With an Offset Smoker, managing the temperature becomes a joy. With the Dyna-Glo Smoker, you will receive two separate compartments to manage. The bulk of the smoker will be the meat cooking chamber, here is where all your smoking racks and meats will be placed. In the Offset Smoking Chamber, you will manage the hot coals here. This makes it extremely convenient for managing temperature as you will never need to open the entire smoker and thus release heat.
- Cook up enough meat for an entire army! With the Dyna-Glo Charcoal Smoker, the holding capacity for meats impressed me thoroughly for the price. Each rack is a little more than 12 by 12 inches, making for 6+ square feet of cooking space. With that amount of space, I could smoke up to ten chickens, 20 lbs of ribs, and 10 lbs of brisket. Also, the smoker comes with a vertical hanging meat hook for smoking sausages. More than enough space to smoke meat for my entire family and for a small to medium sized party.
- Use your favorite wood chips with ease with the Dyna-Glow Smoker. Included with this smoker is a bottom loading compartment to place your wood chips. The chips burn cleanly with no issue, releasing that rich smoky flavor we all love. Smoke infusion works out great in this smoker as there almost exists no reason to open the main smoking chamber, and thus release the smoke buildup abruptly.
- Setup of the smoker went by quickly and everything was intuitive. Honestly, this smoker is basically two boxes, it does not get much more complicated than that. All in all, building the smoker may take up to an hour if you have the TV or radio on, and your attention is a bit divided at the time.
- The quality of the metal on this smoker leaves much to be desired. Little insulation is offered by the thin material of the metal and it feels pretty low grade in comparison to a smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. With such poor insulation, it makes smoking meats in the Winter all but impossible. Along with that, smoking meats on a really windy day may not be worth doing either. It will work fine on a Spring, Summer, or early Fall day, but do not expect to be able to smoke meats in temperatures below freezing.
- Dyna-Glo left a few design faults in this smoker that can be rigged for an overall better smoking experience. One, you are going to want to use fireplace sealant throughout the smoker in the non-vent areas to prevent heat from leaking. Second, you may want to also add a stove rope gasket to the smoker offset door to prevent heat leaks from the door. Third, the built in thermometer is not necessarily great, and will likely be off on your model. That means a digital thermometer will likely be needed to get accurate temperatures.
- While this charcoal smoker comes with six smoking racks, I do not think it needs so many racks. The only thing I can think of that will work for six smoking racks would be something thin like burgers or maybe seafood items. If you want to smoke brisket or pork shoulder, you will need to remove a few of the smoke racks to get everything to fit.
Verdict on the best offset Smoker – Which one to buy
When it comes to classic smoker designs, one of the most popular ones is the offset smoker. If you are looking for a natural and convenient smoker that doesn’t use gas, then an picking an offset smoker will be the best choice you can make. Offset smokers have a long horizontal chamber where you can smoke food, while one of the sides has a firebox that is attached to it for burning the charcoal and smoke wood. The cooking chamber of offset smokers usually includes multiple shelves, so you can smoke a number of briskets, racks of ribs and pork shoulders at the same time. Offset smokers are usually made of thick steel that retain heat much better and easily, thus maximizing heat control and stabilizing the temperature. One of the best offset smokers is the Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker. Let’s find out why.
Compared to horizontal barrel offsets, this inexpensive vertical smoker will be able mitigate one of the primary flaws of horizontal offsets: heat travels upward not sideways.
That’s why a vertical offset smoker is considered the best offset smoker. Having a vertical smokebox will allow heat and smoke to go where they naturally want to go, and that’s up and out the chimney.
The best offset smoker can be fueled with your preferred brand of wood chips or charcoal. And since this is a traditional model of smoker, all the cooking processes are set manually.
It has 6 adjustable height cooking grates and has a total cooking area of 784 square inches.
You can also easily control the temperature of the best offset smoker using the vents on each side. This vertical offset smoker also includes a smoker thermometer for easy temperature reading and monitoring. This offset smoker is capable of cooking at a high temperature of 300 degrees.
Just make sure that you check and adjust the temperature from time to time so that your food is cooked according to your desired tenderness, texture and taste.
Lastly, this offset smoker includes a grease management system for easy clean up. The system will collect all the oil, fat and other types of waste that is created throughout the cooking process. What makes this feature great is that it allows you to minimize creating a mess while cooking.
It also minimizes your efforts in cleaning up afterwards. All you have to do is brush the grease catcher thoroughly and rinse it with soap and water after.
Pros and Cons
- Has a very roomy chamber
- Very easy control
- Works with charcoal and wood chips combination
- Coated steel is a little thin
The best offset smoker is intended for slow cooking and if you want to infuse a smoky flavor on your food. With this vertical smoker, you will be able to keep the direct heat away from the food. Unlike the Char-Griller Smokin Pro 830 (which is one of the other popular offset smokers), Dyna Glo’s offset smoker is more preferred by grillers because of its vertical design.
That’s one of the values of using a vertical smoker. Plus, the vertical design will allow the heat and smoke to travel to its natural path, which is upwards.
This vertical smoker also has an improved burn efficiency with its uniquely designed charcoal system. The system uses a porcelain-enameled charcoal chamber that is designed to keep briquettes stacked tightly. It also has a door that can minimize reduction in cooking temperature.
This Dyna Glo vertical smoker features a heavy-duty steel body construction and powder-coat finish that will ensure a long life. The best offset smoker also has a charcoal and wood chip tray that is made of heavy gauged, porcelain-enameled steel.
The six height-adjustable cooking grates of this vertical smoker is what sets it apart from other smokers. The 784 square inches of total cooking space is among the best in commercial charcoal smokers. And as mentioned above, the best offset smoker also has a charcoal and ash management system, grate and sliding, removable steel ash pan.
The best offset smoker has a warranty against broken or damaged parts at the time of purchase. All the other parts carry a 1-year limited warranty except the charcoal/wood chip tray, which only has a 90-day warranty for defects.
The paint is warranted to be free of defects for 90 days except for rust, which may appear after repeated use.
This warranty will not cover damage or issues related to neglect, abuse or modifications to the appliance. Repair labor is also not covered in the warranty.
The best offset smoker can smoke a lot of food at one time. If you are looking for an offset smoker that will really add flavor, this is the best and practical choice.
This smoker only weighs over 70 pounds and is over 4 feet tall. It has its flaws, but if you don’t mind making some alterations or improvements, then you can easily get the best offset smoker perfectly operational in no time.
Compared to the Char-Griller Smokin Pro 830, the design of the best offset smoker is more logical, because it follows the natural path of heat and smoke, which is upwards.
Pit Barrel Cooker also uses the same design, but is more expensive than the Dyna-Glo. So if you are looking for an offset smoker, the Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker is the best and logical choice.
Dyna-Glo Charcoal Smoker vs Weber Smokey Mountain
Ease of Use
- The Dyna-Glo smokes meats much easier than the Weber. Vertical smokers are all around simpler to use than bullet designs. With its vertical design, the Dyna-Glo can be opened and the smoking racks can be easily removed. With the Weber SmokeyMountain Cooker, you will deal with much more hassle accessing the meats due to the bullet design.
- Even though the Weber Smoker is a bullet design, the smoker is of higher quality than the Dyna-Glo. Weber makes their smokers in the USA, not in China. As such, the quality of Weber products are all much higher. Along with that, the Weber is made of much thicker and durable metal.
Quality of Smoked Meats
- I prefer the taste of meats made in the Weber. While the Dyna-Glo does a great job smoking meats, it lacks one key function, a water pan. With the Dyna-Glo, you will get meats that taste extra smoky, you will miss out on the added flavors/textures water pans add. With the Weber, your smoker comes with a quality water pan to hold whichever liquids you like to smoke with. This makes for meats that come out tasting moister than what you would get from the Dyna-Glo.
- There are things to like about each smoker and things to dislike. For the Dyna-Glo, you will have an easier to use smoker that delivers rich tasting smoked meats. The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is made of more quality materials and comes with a built in water pan, but the bullet design makes for a more difficult time accessing the meats.
Value for Money?
- The Dyna-Glo Charcoal Offset Smoker offers a charcoal smoking experience for one low price. Many charcoal smokers lack the ease of vertical smoker designs. Dyna-Glo can be easily accessed and used by any new user of smokers. With an Offset Charcoal chamber, the control over heat becomes even simpler to operate as a smoker. While a few rigs may be needed to achieve a perfected smoker, the out of the box design of the Dyna-Glo still works well. Overall, I give the Dyna-Glo Charcoal Offset Smoker a total of 3/5 stars.
Tips on Smoking with dyna glo offset smoker
Smoking food is a different to grilling. Smoking is typically done slowly and at a lower temperature than grilling. When smoking the smoke from the wood infuses into the meat leaving a sensational flavour.
- Small wood chips work best inside wood chip tray
- Use hardwood such as hickory, pecan, apple, mesquite or cherry
- to produce more smoke and prevent fast burning you can soak the wood chips in water for atleast 20 minutes.
Here is a list of some popular smoking wood chips you can use in dyna glo smoker and some information on what foods to use them with.
|Type of Wood||Suggested Food||Comments|
|Apple||All Meats||Mild and sweet flavour with a slight hint of fruity flavour. Apple smoke produces a nice browning effect|
|Almond||All Meats||Produces sweet smoke with a natural nutty flavour|
|Citrus||Pork and Chicken||lemon and orange wood produce a light but fruity flavour|
|Cherry||Pork and Beef||Light and Fruity flavour|
|Fruitwood||Pork, Poultry and Fish||sweet smoke with a hint of fruity flavour|
|Grapevine||Poultry, Game and Lamb||Produces a lot of smoke, Tart flavour with a hint of fruit|
|Hickory||Pork and Beef||Very popular choice, this wood produces a very strong flavour. Recommend start slow with this wood|
|Mesquite||Beef, Chicken and Fish||This wood burns very hot and it will produce a very strong flavour much like hickory|
|Maple||Pork and Poultry||Light and Sweet|
|Pecan||Ribs and Red Meat||Light smoke with a sweet and nutty flavour|