Dyna-Glo Charcoal Offset Smoker Review
Check out this charcoal smoker! With a vertical smoking design, managing meats is simple. Along with that, an offset smoker box makes for efficient smoking all the easier. Even novices can use this smoker with no major issues.
Product Review: Dyna-Glo Charcoal Offset Smoker
Price Range: Various Prices
- Built in Temperature Gauge
- 784 Square Inches of Cooking Space
- Separate Compartment for Wood Chips
- Six Smoking Racks and Meat Hanging Hooks
- Smoking meats with a charcoal smoker could not be any more convenient than with the Dyna-Glo Charcoal Smoker. What makes the Dyna-Glo so easy to use is its vertical smoke rack design that makes for easy management of the smoked meats. Simply place your meats on one of the six steel smoking racks, and slide the rack into the smoker. Once the meats are finished, the racks can easily be removed. No hassle with repositioning other meats, nor having to design a rig to access the hot coals without touching the meat.
- With an Offset Smoker, managing the temperature becomes a joy. With the Dyna-Glo Smoker, you will receive two separate compartments to manage. The bulk of the smoker will be the meat cooking chamber, here is where all your smoking racks and meats will be placed. In the Offset Smoking Chamber, you will manage the hot coals here. This makes it extremely convenient for managing temperature as you will never need to open the entire smoker and thus release heat.
- Cook up enough meat for an entire army! With the Dyna-Glo Charcoal Smoker, the holding capacity for meats impressed me thoroughly for the price. Each rack is a little more than 12 by 12 inches, making for 6+ square feet of cooking space. With that amount of space, I could smoke up to ten chickens, 20 lbs of ribs, and 10 lbs of brisket. Also, the smoker comes with a vertical hanging meat hook for smoking sausages. More than enough space to smoke meat for my entire family and for a small to medium sized party.
- Use your favorite wood chips with ease with the Dyna-Glow Smoker. Included with this smoker is a bottom loading compartment to place your wood chips. The chips burn cleanly with no issue, releasing that rich smoky flavor we all love. Smoke infusion works out great in this smoker as there almost exists no reason to open the main smoking chamber, and thus release the smoke buildup abruptly.
- Setup of the smoker went by quickly and everything was intuitive. Honestly, this smoker is basically two boxes, it does not get much more complicated than that. All in all, building the smoker may take up to an hour if you have the TV or radio on, and your attention is a bit divided at the time.
- The quality of the metal on this smoker leaves much to be desired. Little insulation is offered by the thin material of the metal and it feels pretty low grade in comparison to a smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. With such poor insulation, it makes smoking meats in the Winter all but impossible. Along with that, smoking meats on a really windy day may not be worth doing either. It will work fine on a Spring, Summer, or early Fall day, but do not expect to be able to smoke meats in temperatures below freezing.
- Dyna-Glo left a few design faults in this smoker that can be rigged for an overall better smoking experience. One, you are going to want to use fireplace sealant throughout the smoker in the non-vent areas to prevent heat from leaking. Second, you may want to also add a stove rope gasket to the smoker offset door to prevent heat leaks from the door. Third, the built in thermometer is not necessarily great, and will likely be off on your model. That means a digital thermometer will likely be needed to get accurate temperatures.
- While this charcoal smoker comes with six smoking racks, I do not think it needs so many racks. The only thing I can think of that will work for six smoking racks would be something thin like burgers or maybe seafood items. If you want to smoke brisket or pork shoulder, you will need to remove a few of the smoke racks to get everything to fit.
Dyna-Glo Charcoal Smoker vs Weber Smokey Mountain
Ease of Use
- The Dyna-Glo smokes meats much easier than the Weber. Vertical smokers are all around simpler to use than bullet designs. With its vertical design, the Dyna-Glo can be opened and the smoking racks can be easily removed. With the Weber Smokey
Mountain Cooker, you will deal with much more hassle accessing the meats due to the bullet design.
- Even though the Weber Smoker is a bullet design, the smoker is of higher quality than the Dyna-Glo. Weber makes their smokers in the USA, not in China. As such, the quality of Weber products are all much higher. Along with that, the Weber is made of much thicker and durable metal.
Quality of Smoked Meats
- I prefer the taste of meats made in the Weber. While the Dyna-Glo does a great job smoking meats, it lacks one key function, a water pan. With the Dyna-Glo, you will get meats that taste extra smoky, you will miss out on the added flavors/textures water pans add. With the Weber, your smoker comes with a quality water pan to hold whichever liquids you like to smoke with. This makes for meats that come out tasting moister than what you would get from the Dyna-Glo.
- There are things to like about each smoker and things to dislike. For the Dyna-Glo, you will have an easier to use smoker that delivers rich tasting smoked meats. The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is made of more quality materials and comes with a built in water pan, but the bullet design makes for a more difficult time accessing the meats.
Value for Money?
- The Dyna-Glo Charcoal Offset Smoker offers a charcoal smoking experience for one low price. Many charcoal smokers lack the ease of vertical smoker designs. Dyna-Glo can be easily accessed and used by any new user of smokers. With an Offset Charcoal chamber, the control over heat becomes even simpler to operate as a smoker. While a few rigs may be needed to achieve a perfected smoker, the out of the box design of the Dyna-Glo still works well. Overall, I give the Dyna-Glo Charcoal Offset Smoker a total of 3/5 stars.
Where to Buy:
- Amazon : Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
- Amazon : Dyna-Glo DG1176CSC Premium Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker Cover
- Amazon : Dyna-Glo DG1890CSC Premium Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker Cover
- Amazon : Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker & Grill
- Amazon : Dyna-Glo DG1382CSC Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker Cover Grill
- Amazon : Dyna-Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker