As a consumer, it is your responsibility to find out which products to go for and which products to avoid. The same goes if you are in the market for an electric smoker. Nothing can be worse than buying a new electric smoker and after several uses, you find out that something is broken or that it doesn’t produce the results that you would expect. Not only is it a waste of money, but it will also waste your time (which in our opinion, is the more valuable resource). That’s because you will have to do the buying process again. That can be annoying right? So to help you out with that predicament, we’ve decided to list the three worst electric smokers you can buy. Because hey, anything is better than these three choices here, right? So without further ado, here are the three electric smokers you should avoid.
(In this guide, we’ll be explaining what the electric smoker does, its pros and cons and why you should avoid it.)
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
MasterBuilt is famous for producing affordable smokers. That’s all well and good. They do have some excellent products but they missed the mark on this one. The MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse is actually one of the more popular electric smokers on the market today. That’s because it is quite affordable. So naturally, anyone who is looking for an electric smoker would not hesitate buying this product when they see the price. The thing is, it is priced that way for a reason. You have to think how MasterBuilt was able to arrive at a decision of pricing this specific electric smoker. To arrive at that price, you will have to cut a few corners. When doing so, it will compromise the quality and performance of the electric smoker.
- The good thing about this smoker is it has a large capacity. It can accommodate up to 30 pounds of meat.
- It is inexpensive.
- Very suitable for making jerky or other food that requires low temperature smoking.
- Doesn’t have enough power because of the low wattage.
- Hard to get a consistent smoke out of this unit.
- Has a short power chord. (This might seem petty, but it can make a difference for a lot of people.)
As you can see, the glaring flaw of this electric smoker is that it doesn’t have enough juice to cook larger meat. It can only run up to a maximum of 275 degrees Fahrenheit for only 24 hours. Anything beyond that might cause the unit to malfunction. So with that temperature output, you’d be hard-pressed to get the results you need especially if you are smoking larger meet. That’s why it is best for preparing food that only requires low temperature smoking. Simply put, it’s not capable enough. Sure, you will be able to save a few bucks if you get this electric smoker, but if you wind up buying another smoker just so you can smoke brisket or pulled pork, then you won’t be saving money. You get our drift? Plus, there are a lot of negative reviews about the customer service that MasterBuilt provides. So, that’s that.
Pit Boss Grills 77221 2.2 Digital Smoker
This electric smoker will really catch your attention. At first glance, this electric smoker looks quite elegant. It even boasts of a total of 800 square inches of cooking space. For an electric smoker, that’s quite a lot. It even uses a porcelain coated wood pan, which can be very convenient to clean. Pit Boss Grills actually make great smokers, but they did something wrong with this one. We’ll talk about that later.
- Has a viewing window so you can see the meat you are cooking.
- Stainless steel design looks very elegant and out of the ordinary.
- Has ample cooking space for you to cook a lot of meat.
- It is very easy to clean.
- It is inexpensive.
- Controls are not placed on the ideal location. It is actually placed at the bottom, which can be a pain for the user.
- The digital display can be hard to read under sunlight. This can also be troublesome for people who like to cook outdoors.
- Heating element can be glitchy at times.
As you can see, at first look, you would think that this electric smoker is great. But there’s really a catch. This electric smoker was designed poorly. Whoever designed this did not expect how troublesome their design really is. Why would you put the controls of a smoker at the bottom of the unit where it is hard to reach? You would have to either squat or bend over just to adjust the controls. Plus, if you can’t read the display under direct sunlight, then it becomes pretty much useless for outdoor use. And as you know, smoking is an activity best done outdoors. So, if the they couldn’t get the design right, why should they deserve your money? It just translates to poor planning for the manufacturer. In our opinion, an electric smoker is supposed to make your smoking a lot easier, not a lot harder.
Landmann Smoky Mountain 32970 Electric Smoker
Last on our list is the Landmann Smoky Mountain 32970 Electric Smoker. Just like the Pit Boss Grill, this electric smoker looks great at first glance. In fact, it even looks like a kitchen drawer when you first look at it. We actually dig that kind of the design. It will look great anywhere you put it. Plus, the controls are conveniently located at the top, so you won’t have to bend over or squat just to adjust the settings. But what makes this electric smoker a bad electric smoker? Let’s find out.
- Uses a two-drawer system for the water and the wood chips. This makes it more convenient for the user to add wood chips or water.
- The grease tray is also removable, so you can easily clean it.
- It has adjustable feet so you can position it a lot easier than other electric smokers.
- Has a built-in temperature probe.
- It is quite affordable.
- Has enough cooking space.
- Overall quality of the unit is not something to brag about.
- Temperature display is sometimes not accurate.
- Replacement parts are not available anymore.
The most important thing about owning an electric smoker is that it should be able to last for years. That way, you can enjoy it a lot longer and actually make your money’s worth. What good is a good looking electric smoker when it breaks down after a few uses? Worst of all, you will have a hard time repairing it because the replacement parts are not available anymore. That goes to show that the manufacturer doesn’t really give a rat’s ass about their customers. If you release a product, you should have replacement parts available at all times. Otherwise, your product will just become disposable garbage. As a consumer, you don’t want that. Plus, there are alarming reports that this electric smoker really doesn’t hold up after several uses. If overall quality is bad, then it doesn’t deserve your money.
So there you go, these are the three electric smokers you should avoid buying. You will be better off buying a different one because these three will either waste your money or your time.