Every Thanksgiving Day, you can expect to find every dinner table adorned with Turkey. That’s a tradition that it is being practiced up to this day. But if you are tired of eating the same old roasted turkey every Thanksgiving Day, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. There are other ways to enjoy a turkey meal during Thanksgiving Day. One such way is to cook Spatchcock Turkey.
What Is Spatchcock Turkey?
Spatchcocking is another way of preparing a turkey meal. Essentially, you will be removing the backbone of the bird and flatten it before you cook it. What makes this method ideal is it allows you to use the backbone to make gravy and stock without waiting for the bird to drip. By doing this method, you will also be able to cook the bird more evenly and a lot faster than just the normal roasting. In fact, you can prepare this in as little as an hour and twenty minutes. This method of cooking will also result in crispier skin, which is mouth-watering. But enough about that, let’s get to business. Here’s the recipe for Spatchcock Turkey.
- 1 14-lb turkey
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups apple cider
- 5 bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves of smashed garlic
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 apples
- Kosher salt
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 large carrots (or 2 small ones)
- 1 large onion
Sage Butter Ingredients:
- 1 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup fresh sage (chopped)
- Salt and pepper
- First things first. Make sure you preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once you’ve done that, you can start cleaning up your bird. Take out all the giblets and the heart from the cavity of the turkey. You also need to remove the liver. Then flip the turkey so that the breast is facing your cutting board. Use kitchen sears to remove the backbone of the turkey. Remember to cut along both sides of the backbone to remove it properly. Then use your fingers and separate the skin from the breast. Do this gently so that the skin is still attached to the breast meat.
- Mix your sage butter ingredients. Remember to grind the pepper before mixing it. Once it is mixed, carefully push the mixture under the skin of the turkey. Then rub the skin with olive oil. Afterwards, sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Once that’s done, you can now set it aside and proceed to the next step.
- Get a roasting pan and mix the thyme, cinnamon stick, onions, carrots, celery, apples, garlic and bay leaves. Keep in mind that you have to chop these ingredients into half-inch dice before mixing. Once it is mixed, sprinkle it with salt. Then add the two cups of chicken stock, heart, liver, giblets, backbone and one cup of apple cider.
- After preparing the gravy, you can now start roasting the turkey. To roast the turkey, you will need a roasting rack. You need to place it on top of the vegetables and set the turkey there. Take note of the time because you need to roast it for about one hour and 15 minutes. You need to cover the turkey with foil. When it’s about an hour, check the temperature by inserting an instant read thermometer into the leg of the turkey. Make sure the thermometer doesn’t touch the bone. When the thermometer reads 175 degrees Fahrenheit, you can take it out of the oven and let it rest for fifteen minutes before you start carving it.
- While waiting, you can finish preparing your gravy. You need to strain the vegetables on a bowl. Once that’s done, discard the vegetables and skim the fat you see on the pan juices. Then add it to the roasting pan.
- Place the roasting pan over the burner. You can use two burners for this. Make sure to set it to low heat. Put in the flour and cook the mixture until it will look like wet sand. This usually takes around 5 minutes. Then take the remaining 1 cup apple cider as well as the 2 cups of chicken stock, and the pan juices left in the bowl and pour them in. Keep cooking until the mixture becomes thick and looks like gravy. You can add salt and pepper as needed to get the right saltiness and spiciness.
- Lastly, mix the sage butter ingredients until they are well blended. You can add salt and pepper too for this.
- Once you are done, you can start carving the turkey and start enjoying your meal.
Check out Bradley Electric Smokers . These are one of the best smokers for cooking any meat and will give an tasteful flavour.