The Masterbuilt smoker is known as one of the best electric smoker for quality, performance and innovation. If you are an inexperienced cooker and want to try smoking foods at home, this electric smoker is the perfect choice for you.
The smoker is also suitable for professionals who want a standard, simple smoker. The smoker offers you a large space with four racks which would give you enough room for chicken, pork, turkey, fish, sausage, jerky, vegetables and many more. With its consistent temperature and convenient control, it is an awesome smoker for what it costs (sometimes even below hundreds of dollars).
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker Review
When it comes to smoking meats and fish, it helps to have a portable electric smoking appliance like the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker at hand. The portability of this smoker is perfect for day-trippers and campers who want fresh-smoked meals exactly where the RV is parked. See other portable smokers.
For travellers, campers or anyone on the go, the Masterbuilt electric smoker is a great addition to the inventory, and this particular model manages to combine a small enough footprint with a spacious interior that can feed a pretty large group with a single use.
It is also ideal for back yard barbeques where you want smoked meats and smoked seafood without a great deal of fuss. The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker has a number of features that place it squarely in the area where it is usable both as a permanent addition to the backyard barbeque setup and as a portable unit to be brought along on vacations both large and small.
Features Of The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
Portable. With dimensions of 20x17x33.5 inches and a weight of only 51 pounds, it can be easily carried by two individuals and placed in the center of a campsite, making the ideal outdoor barbeque wherever you may want to go.
Pushbutton Start. A simple and intuitive digital display panel takes all of the guesswork out of smoking your favorite foods. The temperature rises evenly and quickly within the 1.7 cubic feet interior, leading to evenly smoked meats with your choice of flavoring.
Removable Water Pan For Extra Flavoring. Expert meat smokers know how useful a water pan can be when adding liquid flavors to your meats and fish. The addition of a water pan makes it easy to add any liquid flavor you could possibly want to the meat, and a connected air damper can adjust the level of smoke flavor relative to the liquid flavor you have added.
Separate Wood Chip Loader. Using the mounted wood chip loader, it is possible to add your favorite wood chips to the smoker without having to open the main door of the device and get an even smoke even when running low on wood mid-smoke.
Easy To Clean your smoker. The number of modular parts that this smoker features makes clean up very easy. Each element comes out and can be cleaned separately, allowing the unit to be quickly returned to a like-new state, ready for the next smoking session without trouble. This is another reason why it is so ideal as a portable meat and fish smoker.
Pros And Cons Of Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
This particular unit has a great number of pros both for the occasional smoker and the seasoned smokehouse veteran. Having four separate racks of spacious interior smoking space makes it easy to add a large amount of meat (more than enough for a single family’s smoking session, and even supporting larger groups handily) without worrying about space constraints.
The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is also thermally insulated for 100% energy-efficient cooking, and this means that your meats and fish will be cleanly cooked inside and out. The use of a digital thermometer and cooking control makes it both easy and safe to use for novices and experts. On the safety side, the 24-hour timer and auto shut-off meant that you will never be surprised by a hot surface or dangerous burning grease spills.
For those who want to see their meats smoke, however, the device is not perfect- the door is sealed and opaque behind the powder-coated steel exterior and you will not be able to watch your meats smoke unless you buy the version with the window (Masterbuilt 40 inch or Masterbuilt 30 inch). This means that it is necessary to dial in the correct time for your smoking session. Of course, the simplicity and ease of using the digital timer takes out much of the guesswork, so many users should be just fine with this.
The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is a very useful smoking unit that is both large enough to feed a large family and small enough to take along on a camping or hunting trip. This marriage of size and utility is a major part of what makes this device a good buy.
One cant stress the importance of a good insulated smoker
Enjoying a good barbecue is one of life’s finest comforts. There’s nothing like taking a bite at a juicy and tender meat with friends or family. There are lots of barbecue joints that offer this kind of meal, but it is quite different if you cook the food yourself. It is more satisfying, plus you get to spend quality time with friends and family. Of course you will need a great smoker to make the best barbecue. That’s a prerequisite. But if you live in the colder regions, you won’t just need a regular smoker, you will need something special, an insulated smoker. Why? Because when you live in a place with a colder climate, a regular smoker will become inefficient. It will be harder to maintain the temperature if you are using a non-insulated smoker in a colder temperature region. That’s why you need an insulated offset smoker. Let’s break it down a bit.
What is Insulation?
Insulation, or more correctly thermal insulation, is a term used to describe products that reduce the heat loss or heat gain by providing a barrier between the areas that are significantly different in temperature. It is most commonly applied in buildings and homes, but are also used in different products that require reducing heat gain or loss.
Application of Insulation on Smokers
The main logic to insulating your smoker is to prevent heat loss. You can do this by insulating the firebox which is also referred to as barrel smokers. These types of grills have a short tube, or firebox, connected to the grill’s longer tube, or cooking chamber. The firebox is what is used for slow-cooking and smoking meat like ribs, briskets and pork shoulders. The firebox is used for fuel while the cooking chamber cooks the food. Fast-cooking meat does not require a firebox because coals are placed in the cooking chamber right below the meat. There are some smoker models that are made of thin metal so that heat can escape quickly. So by insulating the firebox, you will be able to prevent the heat from escaping. Plus, it is also a good way to prevent accidental burning (especially for kids).
How to Insulate a Firebox
1. First thing you have to do is use firebricks to line the bottom of your smoker’s firebox. Firebricks are thin, ceramic bricks made for oven use. Make sure you buy enough bricks to cover the bottom of the firebox.
2. Then, you wrap each brick in aluminum foil. Using foil-covered bricks will make the cooking chamber take longer to heat up but it will also retain heat longer. Plus, the heat will also be distributed evenly, help dampen temperature spikes and prevent heat from escaping from the bottom of the box.
3. Lastly, you have to place each foil-wrapped brick in the bottom of the firebox until it is lined completely with one layer of bricks.
*Note that this is just one way of insulating your firebox. Other barbecuers use a different material because firebricks can make their smokers heavy to lift
The good news is that the Masterbuilt electric smokers are already well Insulated off the shelf so there is no need for extra modification.
Why Use an Insulated Smoker?
The main argument against using an insulated smoker is that some places simply aren’t cold enough to warrant using one. This is true to a certain degree, but there is more to this story than just atmospheric temperature. The most important reason for using an insulated smoker is efficiency. An insulated smoker is proven to radically increase efficiency. When it is efficient, it results in steadier fires and less temperature falls and spikes. But how much more efficient are they exactly? Barbecuers did experiments and found that smokers with an insulated firebox use 50-60% less fuel than those with traditional fireboxes. To give you a clearer picture, the barbecuer found that he was only able to use just two milk crates of an iron bark for an entire barbecue competition. These findings have also been confirmed by other competing teams since they have returned almost identical statistics.
When the outside of your smoker grill gets cold, naturally, the inside of the grill will too. It is a fact that metal absorbs heat but it does also absorb cold. Furthermore, it is easier to hold on to the cold versus the heat. This can lower cooking temperatures when you’re trying to fire it up during the winter months. So, to remedy the situation, the grill has to burn more fuel. That means you will need more charcoal or wood. Plus, you will have check on your meal regularly, so you will have to open the lid. Cold air will flood in causing the temperature inside the grill to fall. So again, you will have to send more handwood to the firepot to keep the fire going so you can raise the grill’s temperature back up to what it should be. But using an insulated smoker will prevent that, thereby resulting in a much more stable cooking temperature and less fuel consumed. That’s the main benefit of using an insulated smoker.
There are several excellent features of the Masterbuilt smoker which have made it so cherished:
Large capacity: This smoker has four smoking racks which provide enough space. For chickens, big roasts, shoulders and ribs you may have to use two of the four racks. You would be able to smoke over 30 pounds of meat at a single time which is undoubtedly great for the price you are paying.
Excellent temperature control: The Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse offer you a great way to keep the temperature exactly what you want. If you are familiar with smoking, you must know that maintaining the right temperature is very important. The electric smoker is 100° to 275°F thermostatically controlled for a perfect temperature every time. There is a built in digital thermometer which allows you to set your desired temperature and relieve yourself from any tension regarding over-cooking or burning.
Great insulation: The smoker has almost 100 % insulation for energy efficient cooking. It has thick walls and shows little to no effect of outside temperature.
Customer support: Masterbuilt is well known for its superior customer support. You would be amazed by their helpful behavior. There are few other companies who provide customer support as good as Masterbuilt. If you are having any problem with your smoker, just inform them and your problem will be fixed in no time.
Cost-effective: Instead of using large amounts of charcoal and wood, you would use electricity which costs much less. And this is very beneficial if you use the smoker regularly and because of the insulation a lot less heat is lost during cooking also reducing cooking costs.
But despite all these advantages the Masterbuilt smoker has room for improvement.
Here are some limitations of the smoker:
Size: Though Masterbuilt has a 40-inch version, it is not very available. If the smoker were a little larger, you would have been able to use all the racks for even larger pieces.
Temperature range: The smoker has a highest temperature rating of 275°F which is enough for smoking fish and red meats. But while cooking poultry you may want to go up to 350°F for avoiding chewy skin which is not possible with this smoker. Smoke hollow electric smoker heats up much higher and is better for poultry etc..
Power shortage: The electric heater of the smoker doesn’t work satisfactorily when the smoker is full with meat. It becomes hard to keep the temperature high enough. Some people add their own heating arrangements to solve the problem.
Direct connection to wall socket needed: You have to plug the smoker directly into an outlet. As the smoker has a relatively short cable, you will need to install an outdoor outlet. Of course you can use an extension cable but it might be the cause of power shortage (discussed above).
After reading the above pros and cons of this best electric smoker you should be able to understand that the limitations can be ignored if we consider the price. And again, the smoker gives consistent result which is of course something notable. Comparing to its closest competitors the Masterbuilt smoker is definitely several steps ahead. The smoker is a great tool for both newbies and professionals looking for less labor intensive smoking.
There are some features or accessories that may make the device more functional and efficient. If Masterbuilt brings them to market as aftermarket products or upgrades, it would be really great. For instance, if the maximum temperature is made higher it would be great for smoking poultry. A maximum temperature of 350°F or more would be excellent. Another nice improvement might be an external smoke box that attaches to the wood feed hole and would allow users to do cold smokes. The power shortage problem could be solved by using a higher wattage heating element.
On the quality of the foods smoked with this model, there is not a single complaint that can be made. Meats and fish come out smoked evenly and the included water pan and air dampeners ensure that you can get the signature blend of flavor that you are seeking. The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is a great value for the money and sure to please any meat-smoking enthusiast, novice or expert- highly recommended!
Overall, the Masterbuilt 30-Inch Electric Smokehouse Smoker is worth purchasing. The device is great for people who love smoked foods and want to try making them at home instead of going to restaurants. But the application of the smoker is not confined to amateurs, many renowned restaurants use this smoker for convenience. So, purchase the smoker if you love smoked foods and make all your favorite dishes right at your home!
The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is efficient and user friendly. Great for anyone just wanting to get into the world of smoking meats. The no hassle design makes cooking a cleanup a quick and enjoyable process.
Product Review: Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
- 4 Smoking Racks = 730 Square Inches of Cooking Space
- Digital Control Panel to Set Temperature and Cook Time
- Insulated Design Capable of Cooking Even in the Winter
- Able to Add Juice or Water, Plus Wood Chips for Flavor
- Once you learn the ease of digitally cooking meats, you will never want to go back thanks to the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. This means that the science behind temperatures and meat cooking time is largely done away with. Pre-programmed functions allow for just about anybody to quickly begin smoking their favorite cuts of meat without having to learn through trial and error. Many experienced smokers shy away from this, but once a smoke master realizes that he suddenly has hours of free time on his hands, he never looks back. For this reason, the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is the ideal model for the day to day operations of smoking meats.
- Insulation allows for smoking in all climate conditions. Masterbuilt designed this smoker to be efficient and precise so that the pre-programmed functions work every time. As such, insurance must be given that the temperature within the smoker remains consistent. This all benefits the person doing the smoking, meats cook evenly and consistently. Things like wind, cold weather, and even freezing conditions will not eliminate the possibility of smoking, it will just slow the unit’s heat buildup down. Once it gets cooking though, this baby will produce dependable results at expected times.
- Continue using wood chips and liquids for flavoring. When most think of electric cookers, they worry about their food being bland due to a lack of direct input. This could not be further from the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. This smoker comes with two separate input areas to allow for wood chips and liquids. Add your favorite wood chip flavors in order to get apple, mesquite, pecan or any smoky flavor you so desire. Simply slide open the wood chip tray and throw in your selected variety. Heat loss is absolutely minimal as this area is separate from the main smoking stage. Liquids are even easier to add. Simply pour in water, vinegar, apple juice or any of your favorite flavoring to the liquid pan and that is it. No heat is loss and the unit keeps on kicking towards the goal of meaty goodness. Your meat will be moist and flavorful thanks to the addition.
- Discover the surprising amount of meat you can cook with the Masterbuilt. One of the big misconceptions of electric smokers is that they are small and cook very little meat. True, the unit is much smaller in stature than most smokers on the market, but this is a plus. If you only have an outdoor patio, you do not want to be forced to dedicate a third of it to a smoker just so you can get smoked meat. The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is about the size of a mini refrigerator. Conceptualize a college dorm room and its lack of space, nearly all college students manage to fit in their refrigerators in such a small space. Setting aside a minimal amount of space for the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is a great plus as you can now add more patio furniture for guests to take joy in smoked meats on a nice summer day. Altogether, the smoker has four smoking racks and can easily hold up to thirty pounds of meat. Masterbuilt’s Smoker is more than adequate in satisfying the needs of even large crowds. Ribs, burgers, fish, pork shoulder, brisket, and even macaroni all cook in a breeze in the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker.
- Cooking poultry requires extra work. The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker reaches a max temperature of 275°F (135°C). Unfortunately, this means that cooking poultry is difficult in the Masterbuilt. Red meat cooks absolutely perfectly, but there are limits with poultry. In order to get a nice crispy skin on smoked chicken and other white meats, you want the temperature to be near 350°F. As as a result of the limits of the Masterbuilt, the skin on poultry always tends to remain chewy. In order to correct this, you can take the poultry items out of the smoker after the programmed cooking is complete, and then add them to the oven to broil for 30-45 minutes at 350°F. You will keep all the great flavoring of the smoking process, and then add a crunchy layer to it with the oven cooking.
- Masterbuilt offers a 90 day warranty on their Electronic Smoker to cover any defects in the manufacturing of the product. This does not cover damage caused by the user or of wear and tear within the 90 day period.
- The Amazon A-Z Guarantee is the best guarantee in the market. In the event that the product is not delivered, delivered in a broken condition, or is not meeting the quality expectations of the buyer, the item may be returned to Amazon for a full refund. A 90 day window exists to file a claim to Amazon over any problem that may come up with the product.
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker Review:
Value for money?
- The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is the most economical smoker on the market. Besides offering a great jump in phase for new smokers, the unit is simply inexpensive to operate. Electricity from an outlet is a far cheaper fuel source than burning large amounts of wood chips in order to smoke a food. Any wood chips used to flavor the meats in the Masterbuilt is quite small. Along with being inexpensive to operate, the models themselves are great entry prices into the world of smoking. Save money and time with the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. Overall, I give the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker a total of 5/5 stars. You may also want to check out masterbuilt smoker parts if you consider replacement. Or with masterbuilt 40 electric smoker which is quite popular nowadays.