Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker 14.5-Inch Review
The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker packs a wealth of features in a compact, little smoker. Cook food for an entire family with that rich charcoal taste.
Product Review: Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker 14.5-Inch
Price Range: Affordable prices
- Made in the USA
- Quality Build can Withstand the Elements
- 286 Square Inches of Cooking Area over 2 Smoking Grates
- Include Your Favorite Wood Chips and Employ a Water Pan
- Charcoal. You can’t beat the flavor of smoked meats from a charcoal smoker. Don’t make the mistake of buying a cheap pig iron smoker from Walmart. All too often charcoal grilling gets a bad name because it is done by low-information at home cooks who grill their pre-formed burgers into black hockey pucks. Weber offers one of the highest quality charcoal smokers on the market, at one low price. If you want to smoke with charcoal, go all out and do it right.
- Beginner Friendly. Now, we all know that charcoal makes for delicious grilled meats. However, many are scared off from charcoal smoking due to the extra work involved. Don’t worry too much about the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker, learning the ins and outs of this unit come within just a few smokes. Plenty of videos, tips and tricks, and community discussion exist for just about any problem you can think of for the Weber Smoker.
- Smoke up to 10 lbs of pork butt, whole racks of ribs (cut in half), and brisket if you cut it in half. Don’t think just because of the Weber’s small size that it can’t smoke the big boys meats. If you want to make smoked meats for just your family, this will be more than enough space to smoke your favorite meats.
- Price Point. At the hundreds of dollars price point, this is an absolute deal for a Weber Smoker. Nothing could be worse than buying a budget smoker, only to find out that the smoker is a ‘budget’ smoker because of it shoddy quality. Weber never disappoints in quality control, these babies are built to last. Even better, the small size of this Weber Smoker means less charcoal is needed to keep it running than most smokers, meaning you will save in the long-run too!
- Portable. When you are taking your smoker to a tailgate, out camping, or to a competition, you want two things in a smoker: ease of transport and durability. Weber’s latest smoker excels in both categories. Admittidly this is a small smoker, but this is a positive and not a negative. One person can easily take this smoker out the back of a truck, assemble all the components, break it down after cooking, and load it back into the truck. No partners needed, just a bit of elbow grease and simple assembly knowledge. Even better, the solid build of this smoker makes it near impossible to accidentally break some little latch or hidden mechanism. Expect the Weber to last, no matter how often you move it around.
- Compact. You will love all the space saved on your patio by using the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. Any guests at your house will remark on how cute and attractive at the smallness of the Weber. Just set the Weber up right next to your gas grill or charcoal grill, and you will be set.
- Bullet Design. Smokers with the bullet design are well made for charcoal smoking. Your coals and wood chips will be loaded up on the bottom of the smoker, and heat and smoke will ascend upwards. Two cooking grates are included with this smoker, and will well hold enough meat for a family of four. Between the coals and the cooking grates is a water basin, which can be filled with either water or sand.
- Quality Construction. When you buy a grill, smoker, or accessory from Weber, know that you are buying with confidence. All too often grills these days are cheaply assembled in China or Mexico, and shipped to the United States with poor quality control. Weber assembles all of their grills and smokers right here in the USA, and stands by the quality of their products. Once again Weber has delivered with the Weber Smokey Mountain,
- Easy Assembly. In less than 30 minutes you will be able to fully assemble the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. Compared to many grills and smokers, you will feel as if you just ran a marathon in record time. Only one pair of hands will be needed to put together the Weber, just be sure to consult the instructions manual.
- Cleanup Even Easier. Finally, smoker components that will fit in the dishwasher. Both the cooking grates and the water reservoir can be taken out after each cook, and put right in the dishwasher for an easy and perfect clean. If you just want to clean it outside (or your wife makes you clean it outside), just use a water brush and wet paper towels to wipe it down as any traditional grill or smoker would be cleaned up.
- Not Meant for True Entertaining. Realize that you are buying a small smoker model. The 286 Square Inches of grilling space will be enough for a single family, but an entire party at a cookout will not be happy only receiving a shred of meat. If you are buying a smoker for large social gatherings, I would recommend just upgrading to a larger model of the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker, whether it be the 18.5-Inch or the 22.5-Inch version.
- Built in Temperature Gauge. While Weber stands for quality, don’t expect the temperature gauge to be the best thing in the world. While you may be able to eventually ballpark the temperature of the meat, you will never be able to figure out the temperature with absolute precision. Digital thermometers are best, go out and buy one if you don’t own one yet. Properly cooked meat does not just taste better, it is essential to avoid unfortunate cooking experiences with raw meat.
- Bending Down. In order to get to the Weber water pan and to add new charcoal/wood chips, you are going to have to get down on the ground to mess around. This can be tough for older folks looking into getting this smoker, and I would recommend looking into a larger model. To access the meat in the Weber smoker, you also will have to bend over to get to it.
Weber Smoker 14.5″ vs. Masterbuilt Electric
- Weber Smokey Mountain: Costing almost hundreds of dollars, the Weber Smoker may seem expensive for a small charcoal smoker. However, the quality of the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker justifies the price point of the Weber Smoker. If you want to smoke with charcoal for a family of four, the Weber makes a fantastic choice.
- Masterbuilt Electric: You will save some dozen bucks or so by choosing the Masterbuilt Smoker. Even though the Masterbuilt Smoker costs less, it can smoke more than twice as much meat per square inch. Now, the reason the Masterbuilt costs less is due to it being made of lower quality metals and having many plastic components.
- Weber Smokey Mountain: Charcoal smoking is what most separates the Weber from the Masterbuilt. If you prefer the taste of charcoal smoked meats, and are willing to make the sacrifice of time and cost, then go with the Weber. Bullet smokers are more difficult to operate when compared to the vertical design of the Masterbuilt Smoker.
- Masterbuilt Electric: Electric smoking makes the entire smoking process so much easier. Masterbuilt provides controls to automate the almost all of the smoking process. You’re going to find yourself with far more free time and peace of mind when not having to tend the fire of a charcoal smoker.
Best for Whom?:
- Weber Smokey Mountain: 1. Tailgaters and Campers. If you need an easy to move smoker, the Weber is the best choice on the market. 2. Charcoal Lovers. The extra smokey flavor that comes from charcoal can’t be replicated by electric or propane smokers. 3. Family Smokers. Cooking for a family is the best thing you are going to do with this smoker.
- Masterbuilt Electric Smoker: 1. Automation Fans. Just select the temperature and the smoking time, all you have to do is replace the wood chips and wait for the meat to finish cooking. 2. Total Newbies. It is hard to imagine a smoker better designed for folks new to smoking that will deliver fantastic results right out of the box. 3. Bending. If you would rather not have a smoker where you have to get on the ground to operate it, avoid the Weber Smoker.
- It is hard to go wrong with either smoker. If you need a smoker that can cook for an entire party, go with the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. Unfortunately the Weber Smoker 14.5-Inch can only cook enough food for a family of four, but it does a remarkable job with this task. At the end of the day, it comes down to wanting the convenience of the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker versus the charcoal goodness of the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker.
Value for Money?
- The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker 14.5-Inch will begin pleasing right as it is taken out of the box. Smoking delicious meats does not just have to be for dedicated pit masters, the Weber is as simple as you make it. While the Weber Smoker 14.5-Inch may not be for smoking for an entire party, it will be sure to please an entire family. Expect a long life out of your Weber Smoker, the quality of Weber products never disappoint.
Where to Buy:
- Amazon – Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18-Inch Charcoal Smoker, Black with Cuisinart Thermometer
- Amazon – Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22-Inch Charcoal Smoker, Black and Thermometer Bundle
- Amazon – Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18-Inch Charcoal Smoker, Black and Thermometer Bundle
- Amazon – Weber 2820 Smokey Mountain Cooker/Smoker
- Amazon – Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18-Inch Charcoal Smoker, Black